Close this search box.


Police Department FAQs

In California, Feral Swine fall under the jurisdiction of the California Department of Fish and Wildlife. The following is information regarding a Cooperative Assistance Program with the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS), and the Contra Costa County Department of Agriculture/Weights & Measures.

If a resident experiences damage to their private property, they may contact the Contra Costa County Department of Agriculture at 925-646-5250, and inquire about a request for the services of a USDA Wildlife Services Specialist (Federal Trapper). Please keep in mind the City of Clayton, just as other local jurisdictions, has no in-house services for Feral Swine. Please also note there is only one USDA Wildlife Services Specialist for all of Contra Costa County. Due to demand, an extended response time can be expected. Assistance type can vary depending on your particular circumstances.

Please also note, even with the assistance of a USDA Wildlife Services Specialist, you will still be responsible for obtaining a Wild Pig Depredation Permit prior to any depredation efforts. Please contact the CA Department of Fish and Wildlife regarding obtaining a Depredation Permit. Be prepared to provide the information for any agents working under your permit, if granted.

Vacation house checks allow our officers, police aides, and volunteers to provide extra patrol to your house while you are away on vacation. Patrols are provided, as able, throughout shifts by the aforementioned personnel. There is no time limit that you are required to be away for your request to be completed. You can call our Police Department to request a vacation house check or fill out the Vacation House Watch form provided under our forms section. This form can be faxed or dropped off at the front desk of the Police Department.

The Clayton Police Department is open to the public Monday – Friday from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.

Pursuant to Clayton Municipal Code Section 10.36.050, a vehicle can not be parked on the public roadway for more than a consecutive period of seventy-two (72) hours. If you have a planned non-operational vehicle (PNO), at no time can this vehicle be parked on the public roadway. If your vehicle has registration that is expired for six (6) months or longer, the vehicle can be towed from the public roadway pursuant to CVC 22651(o).

If you are interested in paying or contesting a parking ticket that you have received from our department, please contact Data Ticket at 1-800-989-2058 or

An RV Permit application can be submitted via fax, in person at the Police Department, or requested here through the City’s website.

RV Permits will allow you to park your properly registered recreational vehicle, as defined in Clayton Municipal Code 10.41.020, in front of your residence for a consecutive period of 72 hours before a trip and after a trip. Guests can obtain a permit for $34 that will allow them to park in front of your residence for up to 10 consecutive days.

For more information on the Recreational Vehicle regulations within the City of Clayton, please refer to Chapter 10.41 of the Clayton Municipal Code available on the City of Clayton website.

In general, the parking of recreational vehicles on a public right-of-way is prohibited.

Please call the Police Department at 925-673-7363 to determine your eligibility to receive any items that may have been taken from you in the course of an investigation. If you are requesting firearms to be returned, a Department of Justice Law Enforcement Gun Release application will need to be completed to ensure your eligibility to have firearms. This form can be found on their website at

Police reports are available from the Clayton Police Department during business hours. The fee for a copy of a report is $37. A determination will be made at the time of the request if you are eligible to receive a copy of the requested report. Requests may take up to 10 days. The department asks that a Request For Copy of Police Report form (available in our forms section) and government issued photo identification be presented at the time of your request.

Clayton Police Department does not offer fingerprinting services. Concord Police Department does provide LiveScan services to the public by appointment. Contact their community service desk at 925-603-5863 for details.

If you choose to contest the legality of your tow, the registered owner of the vehicle may request a tow hearing in writing, in person, or by telephone with the Clayton Police Department (CVC 22852). The vehicle storage hearing is an informal process to determine whether or not a vehicle was stored legally. The registered owner will receive communication from the Police Department via United States Postal Service with additional information on requesting a tow hearing and the status of your storage. It is your responsibility to have your current address up to date with DMV.

Each vehicle release will require the registered owner of the vehicle to be present at the Clayton Police Department. The registered owner will need to provide proof of current registration on the vehicle, proof of current insurance coverage, and a valid driver license. If any of these requirements are not met, the vehicle release will not be completed. A vehicle release fee of $172 will be due and payable (CASH ONLY) at the time of the vehicle release. Additional fees may be due at the time of release depending on the reason your car was towed. Please call the police department to determine your total fees due.

Skip to content