The City Council is the elected policy-making body for the City of Clayton. It is comprised of five members elected at-large who serve four-year overlapping terms. The Mayor is selected annually by the City Council from among its members. The City Council serves as the Board of Directors for the Successor Agency for the Clayton Redevelopment Agency, the Clayton Financing Authority and the Geological Hazard Abatement District. Council members represent the City on the governing boards of numerous Joint Powers Authorities.
City Council meetings are held at 7:00 p.m. the first and third Tuesdays of each month in Hoyer Hall, Clayton Community Library, 6125 Clayton Road. City Council meetings are played back on Comcast Channel 26 on Thursdays at 7:00 p.m. and Saturdays at Noon following the City Council meetings.
You may contact the City Council through e-mail (just click on their name); voice mail or by mailing correspondence to City Hall, 6000 Heritage Trail, Clayton, CA 94517.
|Councilmember||Title||Term Ends||Contact Number|
|Peter Cloven||Mayor||Term expires November 2024||VM (925) 673-7320|
|Holly Tillman||Vice Mayor||Term expires November 2024||VM (925) 673-7321|
|Jim Diaz||Councilmember||Term expires November 2024||VM (925) 673-7316|
|Jeff Wan||Councilmember||Term expires November 2022||VM (925) 673-7323|
|Carl Wolfe||Councilmember||Term expires November 2022||VM (925) 673-7324|
The City Council appreciates hearing from citizens. Thank you in advance for your comment and concern.
When you email the City Council, under California law your email constitutes a public record. Unless you wish others to potentially obtain private information about you, please do not include any private information in your correspondence to the City Council that you do not wish revealed to the general public (such as your phone number, home address, or minor children’s names).
However, in order for the City Council or City staff to respond to your interest or concern, you must include sufficient information for us to reply or contact you.
City Council FY2022/23 Goals
On March 21, 2022, the City Council met to discuss priorities for the upcoming year (FY2022/23). The Council identified three main goals at that meeting:
- Pursue a structurally sustainable budget
- Identify what it takes to support staff in terms of technology and tools to bring the City into the 21st century
- Present a compliant Housing Element to the State Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD)
On April 5, 2022, the City Council adopted the goals listed above for the 2022/23 Fiscal Year.
To have a proclamation considered for issuance by the Mayor, please send the desired text of the proclamation to the City Clerk at 6000 Heritage Trail, 3rd Floor, Clayton, CA 94517 or by e-mail to: CityClerk@claytonca.gov
Cultural Heritage Proclamations
The Clayton Finance Authority was established on December 4, 1990 and the City Council sits as its Board of Directors. The City Council sits as the Board of Directors for the Clayton Financing Authority.
The Authority shall have the power to do each of the following:
- Finance and refinance, through the issuance of bonds of other instruments of indebtedness, Public Capital Improvements and Working Capital and other costs as permitted by the JPA Law and the Bond Pooling Act;
- Purchase and sell Obligations;
- Incur debts, liabilities, and obligations;
- Acquire, hold or dispose of real and personal property;
- Receive contributions and donations of property, funds, services, and other forms of assistance from any source;
- Sue and be sued in its own name;
- Employ agents and employees;
- Acquire, construct, rehabilitate, remodel, install, manage or operate buildings, works, or improvements;
- Lease real and personal property (including that of a Member of Local Agency) as lessor and as lessee;
- Receive, collect and disburse monies;
- Invest money in the treasury of the Authority in the same manner and on the same conditions as local agencies pursuant to Government Code Section 53601 and;
- Exercise all other powers necessary and proper to carry out the provisions of this Agreement.